Ignorance is bliss when you’re escaping the heat in your cool air-conditioned home however, there is nothing worse than when that dreaded electricity bill arrives at the end of a hot summer. This doesn’t have to be the case. If you’re looking for the cheapest way to run your air conditioner, have a read and you can thank us later.
What is the cheapest way to run my air conditioner?
- Correct size – Get the right size air conditioner for the space you need to cool
- Don’t run it too cold – Raise the temperature and save 10 percent for every degree you raise the temperature
- Purchase an inverter air conditioner – This will save up to 40 percent on cooling costs
- Use a wifi add on – control your air conditioner away from home to save on unnecessary air-conditioning
How much does it cost to run an air conditioner?
To get an idea of how much it costs to run an air conditioning on average, it’s a good idea to compare the cost to other appliances. Here are some examples in a typical household:
- Refrigerator – Refrigeration costs on average 6 cents per hour
- Washing machine – 23 cents per hour
- Dishwasher – 34 cents per hour
- Air conditioner (Medium-Large room) – 50 cents per hour
While it’s true that a refrigerator runs 24 hours a day and may be more expensive than an air conditioner over the course of a year, in the summer months an air conditioner can run up to 8 hours a day or $4.00 a day. Multiply that by a month and an air conditioner costs up to $120.00 per month during the summer months. A refrigerator only costs $1.44 per day or $43.20 per 30 day month, so during the summer, an air conditioner can cost almost 3 times as much as a refrigerator.
How much does it cost to run an air conditioner for different room sizes?
Prices also vary on the size of the room an air conditioner has to cool. Some approximate values are:
- 25 to 35 cents per hour for a small room
- 36 to 70 cents per hour for a medium sized room
- 70 to 95 cents per hour for a large room
Do smaller air conditioners cost less to run?
You may have the incorrect size of air conditioner for the space that you wish to be cooling. If you save a little money by buying a smaller air conditioner and it is not the sufficient size for the space, it will work harder and use up more energy. Before long, the money you saved initially by purchasing the smaller model will be consumed up by energy costs. We recommend that you speak to a professional on our team to ensure that you are choosing the most effective option for your space.
What is the cheapest air-conditioner in terms of running costs?
Evaporative coolers are much less expensive to run than refrigerated air conditioners. Though, they can tend to humidify the air and the house must be opened to allow the moist air to escape. In a dry area, an evaporative cooler may be a perfect choice. A ducted evaporative cooler is around 43 cents an hour to cool your whole home.